Correa posts first social media message since Spa crash

Juan Manuel Correa returned to social media to post an update on his condition as he continues to recover from his injuries sustained in the crash that killed Anthoine Hubert in Belgium.

Correa underwent surgery on his right leg last week in London after rejecting an amputation procedure.

The American Sauber junior driver will undergo another operation next week, before embarking on a gruelling rehabilitation programme that is expected to last a year.

Here is what Correa said in his first social media post since the incident.

“I am back, I have decided to come back to my social medias. It’s been a very rough five weeks since the accident.

“I never said it publicly but I want to publicly give my deepest condolences to the Hubert family. It’s been a shock to everyone that such an accident happened.

“You never really think something like that can happen, especially not to you, until it does.

“I’m just grateful to be here, even though obviously I still have a long road of recovery.

“It’s still uncertain if I will ever recover to 100 per cent but I am very grateful to be alive and very grateful for the people that have been with me this past five weeks.

“I’m very grateful for the family that I have and the support they have given me. Without them I would not have made it.

“This has really changed my life, the way I see things, the way I think about life and everything in general. It’s been a life-changing experience.

“All of the support, the loving messages from people I don’t even know personally, I’ve read almost all of them. I spent pretty much all day reading messages, trying to answer to as many people as possible or at least ‘like’ the comments.

“I just want to tell you I will read them eventually and there’s thousands of them. I’ll get it done one day but thank you so much because it means a lot to me.

“It is what it is, I have accepted what happened and I can only be positive now and work as hard as possible for the fastest recovery possible and the best recovery as well.

“The plan will be to have another surgery next Monday and that will be the last surgery here in London. And after that, beginning of November, I should be travelling to Miami to see my siblings and to start my full on recovery.

“This should last, according to the doctors here, they’re expecting it to last 10 months to a year before I can start to really tell how the right foot really is, because at the moment I have a metal frame that doesn’t let me move the foot at all so it’s just healing. That will be there for at least eight to 10 months.

“We will see what happens, but I’m positive. There’s nothing else to do. I can either be here and feel sorry for myself and be depressed or I can just get on with it and be positive and do the best I can for the recovery.”