Date published: November 20 2018
Sergey Sirotkin says he wants clarity from Williams amidst “unpleasant” reports claiming Robert Kubica will be announced as the team’s second driver later this week.
Sirotkin joined Williams at the start of this season but it has been anything but a successful partnership.
The Russian driver has managed just one point thanks to a 10th-placed finish at the Italian Grand Prix.
But it isn’t just Sirotkin who is struggling.
Williams have just seven points in total in what has been arguably their worst season ever – last year they were fifth with 83 points.
It has led reports that Williams will have an all-new line-up next season having already confirmed George Russell as one of their two drivers while Kubica will reportedly be the other.
Sirotkin wants to know what is going on.
“Right now, sitting here, I want clarity,” he told the Russian publication Sport-Express.
“It is very unpleasant to read the latest news and see what is happening.
“But then you get behind the wheel and immerse yourself in the process of racing.
“All of the problems disappear and the rest of the world ceases to exit.”
The 23-year-old has ruled out returning to a test driver role.
“Right now of course I’m not ready for that. I have said repeatedly that I invested much more in this season than people see.
The last thing I want is for the results of my work to go to someone else.
“It is clear that this year we have worked for the future, the results should come next season.
“If you gave up and quit what you worked on, it will be a big disappointment.”