Date published: November 20 2018
Although he recently labelled Formula 1 a “weak show”, Fernando Alonso is refusing to rule out returning to the grid in 2020 after a year of recharging his batteries.
The double World Champion announced in August that he is walking away from F1 at the end of this season but did not say where he is going.
Since then Alonso has confirmed he will race in next year’s Indianapolis 500 as he chases motor racing’s Triple Crown.
He already has a Monaco F1 Grand Prix win to his name while earlier this year he won the 24 Hours of Le Mans with Toyota.
But aside from the Indy 500, the Spaniard has yet to reveal his full plans for 2019.
He is, however, already thinking about 2020 and a possible F1 return.
“There’s going to be a couple more challenges than the Indy 500,” he told Xinhua.
“I feel I need to recharge my batteries a bit next year, but in 2020, of course it can be a possibility to have a full season in IndyCar, a full season back in F1, or a full season in another series.”
The Oviedo-born driver believes he will be more ready for next year’s Indy 500 bid as it will be his second race at the Brickyard.
“That experience is going to be key, because I now know the race, and I know the event,” he said.
“It’s a long two weeks, and though the qualifying and race format seem easy to people who have done it for years, everything was new for me, so I think that experience will be a huge help.”