Date published: November 16 2018
Fernando Alonso and McLaren will be guided by former Force India deputy team boss Bob Fernley when they take on the Indianapolis 500 next season.
Last week McLaren announced that Alonso would have a second shot at the Indy 500 as the Spaniard, who is leaving Formula 1 at the end of this year, chases motor sport’s triple crown.
Alonso already has two parts; F1’s Monaco GP win and the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
But while details in general are still sketchy, McLaren have confirmed that former Force India deputy Fernley will be the lead man on the pit wall.
McLaren said Fernley will “build and lead a technical team entirely focused on the 2019 Indy 500, while helping to evaluate the feasibility of a longer-term McLaren involvement in IndyCar.”
Fernley, who previously worked in IndyCars in the 1980s, has been named the president of McLaren IndyCar.
“Heading back to The Brickyard will be a very special experience for me and I am proud to be leading this McLaren project and team,” he said.
“The 500 is a hell of a challenge and we have incredibly strong competitors to overcome if we’re to be successful. We will need to prepare well for the month of May and that work starts now.”