Date published: October 18 2018
Renault boss Cyril Abiteboul has said he is “worried” about the financial resources Red Bull and Honda have at their disposal.
The Japanese manufacturer are rebuilding their reputation after three dismal years with McLaren and have been working with Toro Rosso in preparation of their link-up with Red Bull from 2019.
Red Bull decided to end their partnership with Renault after 12 years working together, and Abiteboul is concerned about the potential of a Red Bull-Honda relationship going forward.
“Frankly I’m worried about everything in life, but in particular about a situation on the engine side,” said Abiteboul.
“As we’ve seen since last year, Honda is making big steps, big gains.
“Red Bull has been very clear that they are investing massively, and apparently much more than us.”
Abiteboul, though, still retains some confidence that Renault are capable of making their own improvements and becoming even more competitive next season.
“We are happy for Red Bull and Honda but frankly we have our way to do things,” he added.
“We have a plan and we are executing that plan. It’s not just about an arms race.”
“We have all the aspects of the package to develop. No one is providing anything to us, either in the powertrain or on the chassis, so it has to be step by step.
“We are very confident in our upgrade for next year. We want to play the long game.”
Renault’s grip on best of the rest in the Constructors’ Championship is continuing to slip, with just eight points separating themselves and American outfit Haas.